Carts: Trash and Recycling

Trash Carts 

Most households have a town-owned 35-gallon trash cart. Trash placed in this cart does not require a sticker. The annual fee for a town-owned trash cart is $156 (July 1, 2020 – June 30, 2021). Billing occurs in July and the annual fee is not prorated. 

Households may apply for a senior discounted rate (65+, $94/year) by printing and mailing in this application by July 31, 2020. Note: Residents who were previously approved need not reapply for Fiscal Year 2021 (Jul. 1, 2020 - Jun. 30 , 2021). 

Households may opt out of the 35-gallon cart and associated bill by printing and completing this form, taping the completed form to the inside of the lid of your town-issued cart, and returning the cart to 629 Randolph Ave., between 8:30 am- 3:30 pm Monday – Friday no later than July 31, 2020 (deadline extended). When returning your cart, leave the cart in the in the area in the parking lot just in front of the main office that is painted with yellow diagonal stripes. Please do not go inside the office, which is closed to the public due to the pandemic. With questions, or if you are unable to transport the cart to 629 Randolph Ave., call (617) 898-4968. If you don't have access to a printer, please hand write the required information and follow the instructions above.

Households that opt out may still use $3 stickers to set out trash. Place a sticker on each bag placed on the curb or 32-gallon barrel. When using a barrel, place the sticker on top of the top bag of trash. Please note that while trash carts and barrels larger than 32 gallons are permitted, trash inside will require two stickers to be collected. 

To purchase an additional trash cart at any time throughout the year, call and leave a message for Anna at (617) 898-4968 with your name, address, and phone number. The cost is not prorated. 


Recycling in Milton is complimentary. You may recycle as much material as you would like that follows single stream recycling guidelines. 

Frequently Asked Questions

What can go in the carts?
Trash can be placed in the BLACK carts. Only recyclables should be placed in the BLUE carts. If there is trash in your blue cart, the Town will not collect it. If you're not sure what can be recycled, check our information page here. If you're still not sure whether an item can be recycled, check MassDEP's Recyclopedia. If your item can't be recycled in the blue bin, you can search Milton's How Do I Dispose Of...? page to learn how to dispose of the item.

What do I do with my old recycling or trash barrel? 
If you have a blue “Milton Recycles” tub-style bin, we welcome you to keep it and use it for storage or as another household bin. You can set this out with recyclables along with the cart. If you have other recycling or trash barrels, you can continue to use them for yard waste, additional trash or additional recyclables. Just make sure it’s properly labeled and stickered so sanitation workers know to pick it up. Free Yard Waste labels are available at DPW.

What if my trash doesn't fit in the black cart?
You can set out additional trash as long as it has a $3 sticker on each bag or 32-gallon barrel. When using a barrel, place the sticker on top of the top bag of trash. Please note that while trash carts and barrels larger than 32 gallons are permitted, trash inside will require two stickers to be collected. If having additional trash is typical for you, you may order an additional trash barrel from DPW for $156 per year.

What if my recyclables don’t fit in the blue cart?
You are still able (and encouraged!) to recycle as much as you can. If you have other bins or barrels, please fill the cart first, then set out additional bins or barrels if you need to.

Can I have another cart?
The Town only issues one recycling cart per household due to inventory. Additional trash carts may be ordered from DPW for $156 per year.

Who owns the carts? Why do they have serial numbers?
The carts are property of the Town of Milton. If you move, the cart must remain at the address to which it was distributed. You may personalize your cart with a decal or sticker, but do not mark up the carts with paint or markers.

Each cart is associated with a household, and serial numbers are used to match carts to households and keep track of the fleet of carts. Serial numbers and Radio Frequency Identification tags (RFID) associated with each cart help the Town track maintenance and location information of the carts. No personal information about cart users is tracked by the RFID tags.

What if my cart is damaged or goes missing?
Since the carts are Town property, the Town will help repair or replace carts that are damaged during regular operations or go missing. To replace a stolen cart, the DPW will require a copy of a police report made to Milton Police.