Trash and Recycling Carts

The Town of Milton is a Pay-As-You-Throw (PAYT) community. This means that the Town charges a fee for each unit of trash thrown away. 

Recycling in Milton is complimentary. You may recycle as much material as you would like that follows single stream recycling guidelines

Most households in town participate in the cart-based program. Under this program:

  • The Town provides a 35-gallon black trash cart to a household. The fee for this cart is $156 per year. 
  • Trash that is placed in Town carts does not require a Pay-As-You-Throw sticker. 
  • Trash in any other type of cart or barrel, or in a bag, requires a $3 red sticker to be collected. Other bulky items such as furniture also require $3 stickers.
  • The Town will reduce the rate to $94 per year for residents who will be at or over the age of 65 on July 1 of the billing year. An application form for the discount is available in the offices of the DPW, Town Hall, the Senior Center, and online at this link: Trash Fee Abatement Application. Please be prepared to provide proof of Milton residency and proof of age (Birth Certificate, Driver’s License, Passport, or other legal document containing date of birth and legal address).

Households may opt out of the 35-gallon cart and trash bill. Households that opt out may still use $3 stickers to set out trash. You may opt out by filing an opt-out form with the Department of Public Works by June 1. The Trash Fee Abatement Application is available in the offices of the DPW. You must provide proof of residency to opt out, such as a driver’s license or recent utility or tax bill (within 60 days). If you have already received a Town cart, you will be required to return the cart in order to opt out. 

Residents who do not participate in the cart program may still receive trash collection by setting out trash with a $3 sticker on each bag or 32-gallon barrel. When using a barrel, place the sticker on top of the top bag of trash. Please note that while trash carts and barrels larger than 32 gallons are permitted, trash inside will require two stickers to be collected. 


Frequently Asked Questions

What can go in the carts?
Trash can be placed in the BLACK carts. Only recyclables should be placed in the BLUE carts. If there is trash in your blue cart, the Town will not collect it. If you're not sure what can be recycled, check our information page here. If you're still not sure whether an item can be recycled, check MassDEP's Recyclopedia. If your item can't be recycled in the blue bin, you can search Milton's How Do I Dispose Of...? page to learn how to dispose of the item.

What do I do with my old recycling or trash barrel? 
If you have a blue “Milton Recycles” tub-style bin, we welcome you to keep it and use it for storage or as another household bin. You can set this out with recyclables along with the cart. If you have other recycling or trash barrels, you can continue to use them for yard waste, additional trash or additional recyclables. Just make sure it’s properly labeled and stickered so sanitation workers know to pick it up. Free Yard Waste labels are available at DPW.

What if my trash doesn't fit in the black cart?
You can set out additional trash as long as it has a $3 sticker on each bag or 32-gallon barrel. When using a barrel, place the sticker on top of the top bag of trash. Please note that while trash carts and barrels larger than 32 gallons are permitted, trash inside will require two stickers to be collected. If having additional trash is typical for you, you may order an additional trash barrel from DPW for $156 per year.

What if my recyclables don’t fit in the blue cart?
You are still able (and encouraged!) to recycle as much as you can. If you have other bins or barrels, please fill the cart first, then set out additional bins or barrels if you need to.

Can I have another cart?
The Town only issues one recycling cart per household due to inventory. Additional trash carts may be ordered from DPW for $156 per year.

Who owns the carts? Why do they have serial numbers?
The carts are property of the Town of Milton. If you move, the cart must remain at the address to which it was distributed. You may personalize your cart with a decal or sticker, but do not mark up the carts with paint or markers.

Each cart is associated with a household, and serial numbers are used to match carts to households and keep track of the fleet of carts. Serial numbers and Radio Frequency Identification tags (RFID) associated with each cart help the Town track maintenance and location information of the carts. No personal information about cart users is tracked by the RFID tags.

What if my cart is damaged or goes missing?
Since the carts are Town property, the Town will help repair or replace carts that are damaged during regular operations or go missing. To replace a stolen cart, the DPW will require a copy of a police report made to Milton Police. 

I don't want the cart.
Call DPW at 617-898-4900 (press 1 for the trash line) for assistance.