Recently, the Massachusetts Housing Finance Agency (MassHousing) has received several Comprehensive Site Approval Applications for development projects in Milton. The proposed developments would provide affordable housing subsidized by MassHousing under the terms of Massachusetts General Laws Chapter 40B.
As of April 21, 2020, final comments have been issued to MassHousing for the following developments. Click the links to see each comment letter.
The applications propose housing developments for the following sites. Click the links for more information.
- Ice House (485-487 Blue Hills Parkway)
- 582 Blue Hill Avenue
- 648 Canton Avenue
- Residences at East Milton (4-24 Franklin Street, 19-25 Bassett Street, 522 Adams Court)
How to Provide Public Comment
The Select Board is seeking comment on the following three areas:
- Whether the site of the proposed project is appropriate for residential development, taking into consideration information provided by municipal parties regarding actions previously taken to provide affordable housing needs;
- Whether the conceptual design is generally appropriate for the site on which it is located, taking into consideration factors such as the proposed use, the conceptual site plan, building massing, topography, environmental resources, and integration into the existing development patterns;
- Whether the proposed project appears financially feasible within the housing market in which it is sited.
Comments may be issued to the Select Board:
- by email to Town Administrator Michael Dennehy, firstname.lastname@example.org
- by mail to Town Administrator Michael Dennehy, 525 Canton Avenue, Milton MA 02186
- in person at a Select Board meeting
Comments should be issued specific to a single site; however, members of the public are welcome to comment on as many sites as they would like.
40B Approval Process
MassHousing has authority to approve these applications, and has given the Town the opportunity to respond to each of the proposals before issuing its approval decision to the applicants. The Town’s response to these applications will be a letter of response to each application summarizing all stakeholder comments, which will be compiled and submitted by the Select Board.
The deadline to comment on these proposals has been set as April 15 for 582 Blue Hill Ave and 648 Canton Avenue, and April 20 for the Residences at East Milton. The Select Board issued its letter of comment about the Ice House development on January 30, 2020.
If a project is approved by MassHousing, the project will go through a typical comprehensive permitting process through the Milton Zoning Board of Appeals, at which time the ZBA will take additional public comments.