DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Select Board are the Chief Elected Officials and Executive Officers of the Town. The Board consists of five residents who are elected to staggered three-year terms on a community-wide basis. Massachusetts General Laws vest the Select Board with all municipal authority not delegated to other elected boards or retained by Town Meeting, as the Town's legislative branch. The Select Board employs a Town Administrator to manage the day-to-day business of the Town and appoints, among others, a Town Counsel to handle the Town's legal affairs. Duties and responsibilities of the Select Board include:
- Appointing Authority for many Town Boards and Committees
- Chief Policy-making Board for the Town
- Licensing Board for the Town
- Fiduciary responsibility for Town finances
- Issues Warrants for Annual Town Meeting and Special Town Meetings
- Acts as the Town's Water and Sewer Commissioners
- Hires Town Counsel to represent the Town in legal issues
- Employs a professional Town Administrator to carry out the Board's policies and decisions
- Serves as the Trustees of the Governor Stoughton Trust Fund. Upon his death in 1701, William Stoughton, who had served the Massachusetts Bay Colony as Lieutenant Governor and Governor, willed to the Town of Milton forty acres of his property in Milton for the benefit of the poor. The charitable works of the Governor Stoughton Fund are coordinated by the Milton Select Board who serve as its Trustees. The Trustees receive referrals for assistance to needy Milton residents from the Milton Residents Fund through its coordinator Noreen Dolan, LCSW. Ms. Dolan can be reached at 617.696.1214 or by email.
The Milton Select Board typically meets on the second and fourth Wednesday of each month and at other times as needed. The times and locations of the meetings can be found on the posted agenda. The Board's meetings are open to the public, and residents may address any issues or concerns that they have to the Board during the “Public Comment” portion of the agenda near the beginning of each meeting. The Board's meetings may also be viewed on Channel 8, the local public access channel. Meetings can also be viewed once they are published on https://miltonaccesstv.org/.
|Michael D. Dennehy||Town Administrator||(617) 898-4800|
|Paige A. Eppolito||Assistant Town Administrator / HR Director||(617) 898-4800 ext. 4848|
|Jennifer McCullough||Contract and Licensing Agent Benefits Assistant||(617) 898-4846|
|Suzanne Stewart||Executive Administrative Assistant||(617) 898-4843|