Who should apply for a Building Permit?

The State Building Code requires that contractors obtain permits for work that they are in charge of. Contractors (with a few exceptions) must possess a valid Construction Supervisor’s License, be registered as a Home Improvement Contractor (a program administered by the State Attorney General) and must provide or otherwise ensure that Worker’s compensation Coverage is available to all employees and sub-contractors under their charge. Homeowners of one or two family homes (which are their primary residence) may obtain a permit for work that they intend to perform themselves or where they intend to act as the general contractor. Worker’s Compensation coverage may still be required for any subcontractors used. Homeowners should not apply for or obtain permits for a contractor, when the contractor is the person in charge.