2017 MEMORIAL DAY OBSERVANCE, MILTON, MA
MONDAY, MAY 29, 2017
The American Legion Post #114 will begin this year’s Memorial Day program with the raising of the flag and the placing of the wreath at 9:30 a.m. at the Town Hall.
Following this observance, participants will march to Milton Cemetery for the customary ceremony that will begin at 10:00 a.m.
TOWN HALL – 9:30 a.m.
1. Placing of the wreath at the World War 1 Memorial – Legion Members
2. Raising of the Flag – Legion Members
3. MHS Marching Band – National Anthem
CEMETERY – 10:00 A.M.
1. Opening Remarks – Frank Stout – Legion Member – mention of this year’s theme
etc. - (introductory remarks and recognition of special guests and keynote speaker)
2. Al Williams – Speaks on behalf of Veterans Services for the Town of Milton and
Randolph and introduce Dominique L. Thomas
3. Project 351 Milton Ambassador – Dominique L. Thomas – Governor’s Proclamation
4. Greetings – Paul McDonnell, Commander of the American Legion Post #114.
5. Welcoming Remarks – Joseph M. Reardon – Cemetery Trustee
6 Introduction (by Cemetery Trustee Joseph Reardon) - Father Stephen Zukas-
Administrator Saint Elizabeth Church and Navy veteran.
7. Invocation – Father Stephen P. Zukas
8. Mixed Chorus & Band – Armed Forces Salute – songs from all branches of the
American Armed Forces (Mixed Chorus under the direction of Dawn Sykes and MHS
marching band under the direction of both Rebecca Damiani and Gary Good)
9. Recitation of ‘In Flanders Fields’ - Aliyah Farnum – MHS Junior
Remarks – David Burnes, Chair of the Board of Selectmen – WW I and history of Milton’s
relationship to this event.
10. Introductory Remarks – Frank Stout, introduces keynote speaker James R. Holmes, PhD –
Naval War College, Newport, Rhode Island
11. Placing of Wreaths – Legion Members
12 Roll Call – Al Williams, Veterans’ Services Officer for Milton and Randolph
13. Volley/Echo Taps – Legion members and MHS Student
14. Flag Raising – National Anthem – MHS Mixed Chorus
15. Remarks - State Senator Walter F. Timilty
16. Closing Prayer – Father William Palardy – Saint Agatha Parish
17. God Bless America – MHS Marching Band
18. Program Conclusion