Watermain Replacement Projects
A water main is a primary underground pipe in a municipal water distribution system. It is a major artery that supplies water to smaller pipes on the way to homes and businesses. The Town of Milton receives water from the MWRA Treatment Facility.Water mains can be subject to various wear and tear issues including tuberculation, faulty joints, inadequate hydraulic capacity, and corrosion. Aging infrastructure can cause low water pressure and frequent watermain breaks.Old water mains made from cast iron can be brittle and often crack due to their inability to expand and contract with temperature changes. These pipes are now being replaced with ductile iron or plastic pipes like high-density polyethylene (HDPE) and polyvinyl chloride (PVC) that are flexible, and resistant to corrosion and abrasion.
The projects describe below are watermain replacement projects that are ongoing and/or planned for the Town of Milton. The selection of these pipe locations are based on the results of a water system study. The study can be found here: https://www.townofmilton.org/department-public-works/pages/water-system-study-master-plan
As we near the end of the recommendations included in the 2014 Water System Study linked above, the Town has commissioned the completion of a new study which will be published by the end of 2022.
What to Expect
This is what typically happens when we repair or replace the watermains in your neighborhood:
- You will receive a notification 3 to 4 weeks prior to construction, notifying you of the proposed work schedule, the name of the contractor and contact information during construction;
- Crews will use spray paint to identify utilities on roads and Town righ of ways inclusive of entrance to driveways and tree belts.
- Access to properties may be limited at any given time for a short duration. Police details and a construction supervisor will be on site to assist you.
- Trash collection will not be affected by this work.
- During construction there will be noise and dust which will be swept up regularly. Trenches will be backfilled prior to the end of each day and it will be paved by the end of every week.
- Pipes and equipment may be stored at the job site, we appreciate your patience during that time.
- If water needs to be shut down, we will notify you with 48 hours in advance.
- Even if you don't see active construction, we may be testing and/or flushing nearby construction to make sure that the water is clean and safe.
2021/2022 Watermain Construction (W21-1)
Work is currently on going by contractor A.D. Paolini to replace approximately 8,000 linear feet of watermain on the streets listed below:
- Belvoir Road
- Blue Hills Parkway
- Brush Hill Road
- Cheever Street
- Hudson Street
- Dexter Street
- Prince Street
2022/2023 Watermain Construction (W22-1)
The design has already been completed to replace approximately 7,000 linear feet of water main on the following streets:
- Audubon Road
- Elm Street
- Dean Road
- Cabot Street
- Pilgrim Road
A construction contractor for this work has not been determined as of yet. Bid opening is scheduled for May 5, 2022. Substancial completion date is June 2023 (pending materials availability).
Pavement restoration in all streets will be designed as full width restoration.
More construction information will be available on this website as soon as it becomes available.