Before the onset of cold weather, protect your pipes from freezing by following these recommendations:
- Keep your thermostat at 60 degrees Fahrenheit or higher. A pipe can freeze in less than 8 hours, so keep the heat on during the day, and even if you leave the house for a few days.
- Let your faucets drip to prevent freezing water from causing pipes to burst.
- Drain pools and outdoor water hoses.
- Add insulation to unheated spaces or pipes in those spaces, like attics, basements, and crawl spaces.
- Leave cabinet doors open around pipes to ensure they receive warm air flow from your home.
Additional tips for large facilities are in the attached document.