DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
The Board of Selectmen are the Chief Elected Officials and Executive Officers of the Town. The Board consists of three residents who are elected to staggered three-year terms on a community-wide basis. Massachusetts General Laws vest the Board of Selectmen with all municipal authority not delegated to other elected boards or retained by Town Meeting, as the Town's legislative branch. The Board of Selectmen employs a Town Administrator to manage the day-to-day business of the Town and appoints, among others, a Town Counsel to handle the Town's legal affairs.
Examples of the duties and responsibilities of the Board of Selectmen include:
- Appointing Authority for many Town Boards and Committees.
- Chief Policy making Board for the Town.
- Licensing Board for the Town.
- Fiduciary responsibility for Town finances
- Issues Warrants for Annual Town Meeting and Special Town Meetings
- Acts as the Town's Water and Sewer Commissioners
- Hires Town Counsel to represent the Town in legal issues
- Employs a professional Town Administrator to carry out the Board's policies and decisions
- Serves as the Trustees of the Governor Stoughton Trust Fund. Upon his death in 1701, William Stoughton, who had served the Massachusetts Bay Colony as Lieutenant Governor and Governor, willed to the Town of Milton forty acres of his property in Milton for the benefit of the poor. The charitable works of the Governor Stoughton Fund are coordinated by the Milton Board of Selectmen who serve as its Trustees. The Trustees receive referrals for assistance to needy Milton residents from the Milton Residents Fund through its coordinator Diane Ferrari, LICSW. Ms. Ferrari can be reached at 617.696.1214 or by email.
The Milton Board of Selectmen meets on the first and third Tuesday of each month and at other times as needed at 7:00 PM in the John A. Cronin Conference Room on the second floor of the Town Office Building. The Board's meetings are open to the public, and residents may address any issues or concerns that they have to the Board during the “Citizens Speak” portion of the agenda near the beginning of each meeting. The Board's meetings may also be viewed on Channel 8, the local public access channel.
CONTACT THE SELECTMEN
|Kathleen M. Conlonemail@example.com|
|Richard G. Wells, Jr.||firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Melinda A. Collinsemail@example.com|
|Michael F. Zullasfirstname.lastname@example.org|
|Anthony J. Farringtonemail@example.com|
|Michael D. Dennehy||Town Administrator||(617) 898-4800|
|Paige A. Eppolito||Assistant Town Administrator / HR Director||(617) 898-4800 ext. 4848|
|Emily Martin||Executive Secretary to the Board of Selectmen||(617) 898-4800 ext. 4846|
|Arlyn Zuniga||Chief Procurement Officer||(617) 898-4877|
|Christine Stanton||Contract & Licensing Agent/Benefits Assistant||(617) 898-4843|