What if my cart is damaged or goes missing?

Since the carts are Town property, the Town will help repair or replace carts that are damaged during regular operations or go missing. If it is damaged, please bring the barrel to the DPW Yard at 629 Randolph and inform staff inside the building. We will have a new one dropped off to you on the following Friday. To replace a stolen cart, the DPW will require a copy of a police report made to Milton Police. A replacement and maintenance request form is available online or you can call DPW.

Show All Answers

1. What can go in the carts?
2. What do I do with my old recycling or trash barrel?
3. What if my trash doesn't fit in the black cart?
4. What if my recyclables don’t fit in the blue cart?
5. Can I have another cart?
6. Who owns the carts? Why do they have serial numbers?
7. What if my cart is damaged or goes missing?