Notary Services Guidelines
Town of Milton
Office of the Treasurer/Collector
The Treasurer/Collector’s office provides Notary services as a courtesy. The following guidelines will be followed in the provision of Notary Service:
- Notary Service is not available for Deeds, Mortgages, Power of Attorneys, Wills, Living Wills, Living Trusts, Codicils or Depositions.
- To request Notary Services please call ahead to ensure Notary availability.
- The individual seeking notarization must be a resident of the Town of Milton.
- A valid, government-issued photo identification is required of any customer seeking Notary Service. (Cannot present an expired form of identification)
- The document(s) CANNOT already have been signed nor dated.
- All signers must be present at the time of notarizing.
- If your document requires a witness(s), they must accompany you.
- The Notary is stating they have witnessed the document being signed.
- The document must contain the appropriate Notarial Statement or Clause, or one will be stamped on the document by the Notary.
- Documents in any language other than English will not be notarized at this facility.
- Certain public documents cannot be copied and notarized. Examples of these are birth, marriage and death certificates.
- Massachusetts law requires that a Notary and the person seeking notarization be able to communicate directly with each other.
- In accordance with Massachusetts Notarial Law, Notaries will not provide service if the customer, document, or circumstances of the request for Notary Service raise any issue of authenticity, ambiguity, doubt, or uncertainty. In this event, the Notary may, at his/her sole discretion, decline to provide Notary Services.
- Services are Free of Charge.
Questions regarding Notary Services please contact the Treasurer/Collector’s Office at 617-898-4853.