Upon his death in 1701, William Stoughton, who had served the Massachusetts Bay Colony as Lieutenant Governor and Governor, willed to the Town of Milton forty acres of his property in Milton for the benefit of the poor. The charitable works of the Governor Stoughton Fund are coordinated by the Milton Select Board who serve as its Trustees. In 2011, the Trustees approved the sale of a large portion of the Town Farm to Pulte Homes for $5 million and authorized an easement for $350,000 for the construction of 23 homes on a new road, Woodlot Drive. Approximately, 4.3 acres of land are still held by the Governor Stoughton Trust (located off Governor Stoughton Lane).
These funds are used annually by the Trustees to provide financial support to organizations in Milton that provide assistance to the poor, which remains a requirement under the will.
One organization is the Milton Residents Fund which provides financial assistance to Milton residents. Learn more about the Milton Residents Fund here.